For exchange and refund of your Clickfree product that was purchased directly from Clickfree and is still under warranty, please email RMA@clickfree.com.

Transfer Mac files backed up on the Clickfree to a PC

jennijenni WollongongPosts: 2Member
I have been backing up my Macbook Air (running OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard) on a Clickfree HD527N which I believe is a C2. (I had to load some little piece of software (driver?) to enable this to happen properly. It has also sometimes backed up a PC running Win7, and mostly failed to back up another running Win8 - which i understand is par for the course.)

So now the Mac has crashed - no screen, although the SSD itself is believed to be running under there. Not worth repairing. But how to get the files off is a HUGE problemo! 

When I plug the clickfree into either Windows machine, and try to restore/transfer the Mac files, it tells me that a problem has caused it to stop working. When I try to look at the files in File Manager (or whatever it is called now) it can only see the ones backed up from the Win 8 machine (oddly).

I dont have an old Mac lying around, and any that i might buy will not read the Clickfree as they are all ElCapitan (even secondhand ones). 

Help!

Answers

• Mike_CFMike_CF Posts: 2,195Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jenni ;

HD527N does not support the new MAC OSX El Capitan.

If you find that you're unable to successfully launch the Clickfree software and perform a restore when using the Windows 8 operating system, see below on how to manually restore the data that was previously backed up by Clickfree.

Here's how to check if your backups are still present:

1. Plug your Clickfree into USB

2. If the Clickfree software launches, close Clickfree software window

3. Open This PC: Hold down the Windows key (on the keyboard) and then the E key (For Windows 10 click on 'This PC' on the left side of the window that opened)

4. Double-click on the drive named "CF_Storage"
    Note: If you don't see CF_Storage, you will be unable to retrieve files using a Windows 8 computer

5. Look for a folder named "S".
    *Note, these files may be "hidden", see below on how to enable hidden files & folders in Windows.

6. Once you find the S folder, keep opening the subsquent S folders. Eventually, you'll notice folders named "1", or "2", or "3", etc. (This represents the different computers that were backed up).

7. Open one of the numbered folders, you'll notice that the folders here will mimic the file system of the backed up computer. (It may take a few tries to find the correct computer that you're looking for)

8. Manually copy/paste the files you want to "restore" to this new computer. Feel free to copy them to any folder of your choosing, this way, you'll know where these files are located. 

How to enable hidden files and folders:

1. By default, Windows does not display any files or folders that are hidden by the operating system. 
    2. Hold down the Windows key and then the E key.
    3. Click on View
    4. Check the "Hidden Item" box

If your question has been answered, please click on Yes beside “Did this answer the question?” at the bottom my post. We appreciate your feedback.  :)