For exchange and refund of your Clickfree product that was purchased directly from Clickfree and is still under warranty, please email RMA@clickfree.com.

Why won't my Click Free disc auto start when plugged it?

LanceLance Seal Harbor, MainePosts: 7Member
I took my Dell desktop to be cleaned up after being hacked.  The computer now works fine, but the Click Free disc will not auto start when plugged it.  Could the clean up have removed something that the disc need to find in order to start up?
Tagged:

Answers

• Mike_CFMike_CF Posts: 2,195Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    When Clickfree is plugged in the computer, two drives would appear:
    1. Clickfree_System: This is the CD partition in the Clickfree drive that holds the software.
    2. CF_Storage: This is the actual hard drive that stores all the data.

Note: The drive letter assigned to the drive is arbitrary, and will be different for each computer (setup).

When one or both are missing, Clickfree will not work. Check out this post to identify which Clickfree drive may be missing and what troubleshooting steps can be taken.

If both drive appear, and the software will not launch automatically that mean the AutoPlay setting in your computer have been change. Please check out this post reset the AutoPlay setting.
    If your question has been answered, please click on Yes beside “Did this answer the question?” at the bottom my post. We appreciate your feedback.  :) 
  • LanceLance Seal Harbor, MainePosts: 7Member
    When I connect the clickfree to a different Windows 7 computer,  I get "CD Drive (F:) Clickfree 0 bytes free of 134 MB CDFS.  When I click on this file, I get "Start Clickfree Backup". So, the Clickfree drive seems to be working on this computer.

The Clickfree_System and CF_Storage files did not appear.  So, could the clickfree be a C6 model?

When I connect the same clickfree to the computer in question, I get "CD Drive (G:) Clickfree  0 bytes free of 134 MB CDFS.  But, when I click on this file, I do not get "Start Clickfree Backup".  So the Clickfree must be looking for a file on this computer that is not there.

Please advise.  Thanks.

When CF_Storage did not appear, this may occur when the Clickfree isn't receiving enough power, isn't detected by the computer, or is missing drive letter assignments (for Windows OS).

Note: If you have enabled password protection, the Clickfree_Storage drive will not appear until the password is entered.

Troubleshooting:

1. Try different USB port on the computer. For a desktop computer, the USB port at the back of the tower generates more power.
    2. If possible, try a different computer to see if the Clickfree drives are detected. This allows us to know the Clickfree may be defective or it’s the computer malfunctioning.

How to check for and assign missing drive letters in Windows:

1. Using your keyboard, press both the Windows key + R key at the same time
    2. A window named Run will appear. In this window, type diskmgmt.msc
    3. Press the Enter key on your keyboard, a window named Disk Management will appear
    4. Check to see if Clickfree_System and CF_Storage are present. At this point, you may notice that neither Clickfree_System nor CF_Storage have a drive letter assigned. In order to function correctly, both Clickfree_System and CF_Storage will need to have drive letters assigned to them.

How to assign drive letters to your Clickfree:

1. Using your mouse, right-click on CF_Storage, a context menu should appear
      2. Select Change Drive Letter and Paths
      3. Click on the Add button
      4. Select Assign the following drive letter
      5. Click on the drop-down list and choose a letter
      6. Click on the OK button
      7. Right-click on Clickfree_System
      8. Assign a drive letter to Clickfree_System using the steps above
      9. Power OFF your computer
      10. Disconnect the Clickfree device from USB
      11. Power ON your computer
      12. Once the computer is fully powered ON, plug the Clickfree back into USB
      13. The Clickfree should be detected by your computer
    If your question has been answered, please click on Yes beside “Did this answer the question?” at the bottom my post. We appreciate your feedback.  :) 
    First, I plugged the Clickfree drive into a different computer, and the Autoplay window opened with the option to "start Clickfree Backup:. So, the drive itself works just fine.

Second, I opened the  "disk management" window on the computer in question, then plugged in the Clickfree disk, and the listing: "Clickfree (F:) simple, basic, CDFS, healthy" appeared.  The Autoplay window gave no options for Clickfree.
    The problem seems to be with the computer, not the Clickfree drive.
    We have two Dell PCs, a desktop and a laptop.  The desktop is the one that was hacked and has been "cleaned".
    When I connect the Clickfree drive to the laptop (not cleaned up), everything goes well.  I get one Autoplay window with "CD Drive(E:) Clickfree" and the "start clickfree backup" option.
    When I connect the same drive to the desktop (cleaned up) I get one Autoplay window with "CD Drive(F:) Clickfree", but nothing about "start clickfree backup"
    Therefore the Clickfree drive must be ok and the problem must be with the "cleaned up" computer.  The cleaning up process must have removed something from the desk top that the Clickfree drive needs to find.

I repeated the same above procedure using a different clickfree drive and got the same kind of result, except that there were two autoplay windows showing the Clickfree_System" and CF_Storage.  The CF_Storage window gave the "start clickfree backup" option for the laptop, but not for the desk top (cleaned up).  The two drives obviously have different software drivers.

I hope that this helps you.

Lance Funderburk
    edited November 2013
    Hi Lance,

What it seem like you might be need to update your USB driver. We recommend you go to your computer's manufacture's website to look for the USB driver.
    Mike,

The CF drive worked in the same USB port before the "clean up", but does not work now..  Also, the printer still works from its USB port.  If the cleanup had altered the USB driver, then is should have messed up printer operation as well.
    Is there not a chance that the cleanup removed something from the computer  that the CF drive needed to find in order to start? 
     Otherwise, it looks as if I will have to get different backup disk that operates from software installed on the computer.
    Thank you for all you are doing to try to help.

Lance

Hi Lance,

The software is built-in to the device. Therefore it does not need to find something on your computer to start. When the Clickfree is connected to the computer, it should recognize as a USB MASS STORAGE drive, which the printer is not. The issue is the computer does not recognize the storage drive "CF_Storage". We do recommend you to update the USB driver from the computer manufacturer's website.

Mike,

I went to the Dell site and found that the USB driver was not listed as one that needed updating.
    I plugged the CF disk into a USB port at the rear of the tower and got the same results as before.

When plugged into the laptop that had not been cleaned up, an Autoplay window appeared that listed 
    "CD Drive (E:) Clickfree", "Install or run program from your media", and Start Clickfree Backup".

With the cleaned up desktop, the Autoplay window did not have  "Install or run program from your media", and Start Clickfree Backup".

I will wait to see if you have any more suggestions before getting a different backup disk.

Sorry that this is being so difficult.

Lance
    Hello Lance,

Try to click on Start Clickfree Backup to see if the software will launch.
    Where will I find Start Clickfree Backup?
    Here is how to start the software manually:

1. Connect the device to the computer (if it is not connected already)
    2. Hold down the Window Key + E
    3. Right-click on CD Drive Clickfree (Clickfree_System), select Open
    4. Right-click on Startclickfreebackup.exe OR Fibpguard.exe and select Run as administrator
  • yaya0923yaya0923 United StatesPosts: 3Member
    I tried everything above and CF still will not start when plugged in.  This is the second time I have had this issue where Click Free just stops working.  I am getting a little tired of this problem.  I have so much backed up on this and now what do I do.  There has to be an easier way to back up your computer without having to worry about this just randomly happening.  What now?
    When I press Windows R, click free does not appear.  When I click Windows E, still nothing, went into computer and still nothing, I have tried two computers and the same problem.  
    And just to exacerbate the situation, cannot even talk to someone when I call, have to take a chance and hope this forum will help and so far (twice) I have not been able to find a solution.

yaya0923 said:
    And just to exacerbate the situation, cannot even talk to someone when I call, have to take a chance and hope this forum will help and so far (twice) I have not been able to find a solution.

Generally when a Clickfree is plugged into a computer, two drives will appear under (my) computer:

The first one will be called “Clickfree_system” OR just “Clickfree”, this is where the software of the Clickfree is stored in.

The second one will be called “CF_Storage” OR "Clickfree_Storage" , this is where the actual hard drive is located in.

If either drives are missing from the (my) Computer Window, the Clickfree will not run properly!

You can check to see which drives are possibly missing by pressing the Window Key and the E key at the same time.

Please see below on what actions to take if one of them are missing:

If the both drives appear on the (my) Computer Window and the software is not automatically starting itself, the default settings for Autoplay may have changed, please see this post on how to configure the Autoplay settings on your computer.

Alternatively, you may also try manually running the software:

Run As Administrator (Window Vista, Window 7 and Window 8):

1. Connect the device to the computer (if it is not connected already)
    2. Hold down the Window Key + E
    3. Right-click on CD Drive Clickfree (Clickfree_System), select Open
    4. Right-click on Startclickfreebackup.exe OR Fibpguard.exe and select Run as administrator

If you still require additional assistance, please reply back with the following information:

a) Your Clickfree devices model number

b) The operating system of your computer

c) The drive(s) that appear under your (my) Computer window

d) Is your computer a desktop or a laptop?