For exchange and refund of your Clickfree product that was purchased directly from Clickfree and is still under warranty, please email RMA@clickfree.com.

Won't back up properly

martiamanmartiaman united statesPosts: 4
I used a 320 GB Click Free before and always just plugged it in and it backed up changed or new files.  I thought the C6 was supposed to do the same thing, but for everything on the computer, but it generates a completely new all-computer backup each time I plug it in.  I don't want to keep it plugged in because I'm concerned about lightning strikes.  And it takes 12 or more hours to do that complete backup!  I'm running Windows 7 on a desktop with 3 GB memory and a 500 GB hard drive that is not overly full.  The computer generally works fine. Please help!

Answers

• John_CFJohn_CF TorontoPosts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, the C6 is an image backup system, and it will create a new image every time you use it to back up. This is so that if you need to restore, you can choose from different backup dates. 

You don't need to keep the C6 plugged in all the time. It's also recommended that you only do the backup monthly, otherwise the drive will be filled up rather fast.

If your question has been answered, please click on Yes beside Did this answer the question?at the bottom of my post. We appreciate your feedback :)

• martiamanmartiaman united statesPosts: 4
    Excuse me, but the ClickFree C6 User Manual, page 6 says: 

"The first time you back up your computer, C6 backs up all of the content it finds, as well as the operating system and software applications, which might take several hours. Each time you use Clickfree after that, it only backs up the new or changed files, so it will be much faster."

Now, can you, or someone who really knows this product at ClickFree, please answer my question?
    Hi, I am sorry if my explanation wasn't clear enough. It's true that each time you use C6 after the initial backup, it will only back up any new or modified files. However, a whole image will still be created. Assuming you have already done the initial backup, for the 2nd backup C6 will utilize the image that it created and add any new files to it and create a 2nd image. In the end there will be two images created by C6.

The initial backup will take the longest, and the subsequent backups should be shorter. On average the initial backup takes anywhere between 2-4 hours. Depending on the computer performance (such as CPU, RAM, USB speed...etc.), the time will vary by a wide range. We have seen cases where it takes days to complete the backup.

You mentioned that "it generates a completely new all-computer backup each time I plug it in", what makes you think it's doing that? If possible, take a screen shot and send it to us so we can examine it.

If your question has been answered, please click on Yes beside Did this answer the question?at the bottom of my post. We appreciate your feedback :)

Because there was a complete second computer listed, which I had to delete (took at least 5 hours). 

I'm running Windows 7 on a desktop with 3 GB memory and a 500 GB hard drive that is not overly full.  I realize it is an "older computer" but it generally works fine. And, by the way, what good is backing up only once a month?  I don't recall anything in the sales material that said or implied that, and it certainly wouldn't serve most backup needs.
    There are a few things you can try to see if it can improve the back up time. Here is the link: http://forums.clickfree.com/discussion/69/c6-takes-a-long-time-to-back-up#latest

In your case since you have an older Clickfree (likely of the model C1) and the C6, you should use both interchangeably. Use the older Clickfree on a daily basis. Since it only backs up the data, it will only adds new data everyday. The back up should rather quick. Then use the C6 on a bi-weekly or monthly basis with the main intention of backing up the system. You don't have to worry about using the C6 to back up all your current data since they are backed up in the older Clickfree. But by the end of each month your data would be backed up in two places for better protection.

why would I need two devices to do the same thing?  And that is NOT how the C6 is marketed! Nothing says you need two devices to do your backing up!  Besides, the reason I bought the C6 is that the older one says it is full and won't back up any new files.
    Hi, I am sorry if that came out wrong but all those are just suggestions/recommendations to help you with your situation. You are fully entitled to use the Clickfree however you want :)

Also you can always clear the drive if it's full, assuming all the data are still on the computer.