How to transfer data to your new Windows 8 PC? Check out this post: http://forums.clickfree.com/discussion/2187/transferring-data-to-windows-8-windows-8-1

Restore Emails and TurboTax Return

I've been using the backup drive for several years now without any concerns.  My computer crashed last week and I had to reinstall the operating system and programs.  So for the first time, I used the Clickfree backup drive to restore the lost data.  It worked for itunes, pictures, office documents, etc.  However, it didn't work for two important data:

1.  Emails

2.  Turbo Tax return - .tax

I tried four times and it didn't work.  I looked for these two data and couldn't find them on the backup drive although the settings show they are programmed to be backed up.  As a note, the software is current as I have the auto update setting on.

Request your help ... thank you.
Tagged:

Comments

• Anis_CFAnis_CF Posts: 382Moderator mod
    edited October 2013
    Without knowing the model of your Clickfree, I will provide some generic steps.
    Depending on the email application that you are using, Clickfree may or may not back it up.

1. Email:

Cloud Based Email: Email services such as Gmail, Yahoo Mail, and Hotmail are considered cloud based email. The word "cloud" means the actual data (email, contact, address...etc.) are not saved locally on your computer. Instead, they are saved in a remote server somewhere on earth. That's why you are able to sign in to your email account and access your emails anywhere with a computer and internet connection.

Since the data are not saved on the computer, Clickfree will be unable to back them up. 

Local Email Application: If you are using email application such as Microsoft Outlook, where all the data are saved locally, then Clickfree will back them up. Since Microsoft Outlook is the most common local email application, Clickfree already include it in its default backup settings. No additional change are necessary to back up Outlook files.

Please check out this post how to restore the PST (Outlook) file.

1. Turbo Tax Return:

Note: For the Turbo Tax Return file, please use Restore to a Specific Location method.
    Post edited by Mike_CF on
    If your question has been answered, please click on Yes beside “Did this answer the question?” at the bottom my post. We appreciate your feedback J
  • minjesminjes hawaiiPosts: 5Member
    Thank you for your reply.  My model number is HD801.  My computer's operating system is Windows 7.  The Clickfree software is current.

1.  Emails - I use Windows Live Mail.  
    2.  Turbo Tax - The PDF copy was restored but not the .tax software data which is important as it provides the information to do next year's tax returns.

I have tried the following to restore the data:

a.  Normal restore - click restore, check the boxes on the right side of the different files, press NEXT, check restore my files to actual locations, and press next.  
    b.  Since that didn't work, I tried restore my files to my desktop and go from there.
    c.  That didn't work so I checked only the email files using both approaches above, but the restore took about a second or two and yes, it didn't work again
    d.  I also manually went into the Clickfree files via Clickfree Storage, s, s, etc. and moved the email file to the desktop.  That didn't work either.

Help please.  

edited October 2013
    - For the e-mail application you will have to restore the e-mail category to a specific location, for example restore to a folder on the desktop. Start the Windows Live application and open or import the files/s that contains all the e-mail information. Each e-mail application has it's specific way of importing data.
    - For the Turbo tax application you would have to restore the relevant file/s from the Others category to a specific location, for example restore to a separate folder on the desktop. Start the Turbo Tax application and open or import the files/s that contains the tax information.
    In order for the above to work you must know which specific files from either Windows Live Mail and Turbo tax contain the relevant data information.
    Post edited by Anis_CF on
    If your question has been answered, please click on Yes beside “Did this answer the question?” at the bottom my post. We appreciate your feedback J
  • minjesminjes hawaiiPosts: 5Member
    - "For the e-mail application ...."  Did exactly what you suggested.  Actually this is my third time doing it.  It didn't restore the emails.  Note that I used and still use Windows Live.  
    - "For the Turbo tax ...".  Again, did exactly what you suggested; third time.  Didn't work.
    Hate to say this but Clickfree doesn't seem to be a reliable backup system.  Other ideas would be appreciated as important emails and my software 2012 tax data have been lost unless Clickfree can help me.
    edited October 2013

When restoring the back up data in cases such as e-mail and tax it is best to restore to a specific location, such as a folder on the computer. After the restore you can use the e-mail and tax application to import the restored information. We can assist the customers to restore the data from the Clickfree to the computer. To import information from email or taxes please contact the software manufacturer for the above products. 

Post edited by Anis_CF on
This discussion has been closed.